Friday, April 8, 2016

Paige & Mark – Review of DWTS Season 22, Week 03


DWTS Season 22, Week 03

REVIEW: Paige & Mark




Ladies and Gentlemen, this is the Maaaaiiinn Event oooof the Eveniiiing!!  FIGHTING, uh, DANCING in the Glitter Dome, it’s Paige “12 Guage” VanZant, and her rough and ready Pro partner, Mark “The Mirror Ball” Ballas, performing to “300 Violin Orchestra” by Jorge Quintero!

Paige & Mark
DWTS Season 22, Week 03


I mean to say, I freaking LOVED this Dance!!

Presenting a no less than THRILLING and powerful Performance, UFC’s Pint-sized Paige positively owned Monday night’s “Octagon” (and her “Opponent”!) for the whole of this Paso Doble, making this Routine one of the undeniably better ones to be submitted on Week 03; and furthermore, one my own, personal, ABSOLUTE favorites of the Season thus far!

Paige & Mark
DWTS Season 22, Week 03


Albeit, more of a Choreographed “Bout” than an actual “Paso”, this Dance did serve to once again finely showcase Paige’s Particular Proclivity for having Good Lines and a Natural Frame, as well as having some impressively Quick and Light Footwork!

Paige & Mark
DWTS Season 22, Week 03


“[Mark] You’re a great Teacher, and you’re a great Choreographer,” began Head Judge, Len Goodman, when critiquing this Dance; “and you’ve gotta say, it’s a wonderful Performance!  And, if that had been a Contemporary, it would have got [sic] a really high mark; but for me, it didn’t look like a Paso Doble!”

Oooo, ouch!  Way to cut straight to the chase there, Len!  However, and (believe you me) as much as I would love to refute these claims laid against this spectacular and brilliantly Choreographed Piece, I cannot deny that Len actually sort of (Okay, so TOTALLY!) hit it on the head!  … <Drumming fingers> Doggone it.

“…Fantastic!” countered Judge, Bruno Tonioli, “I loved the Creativity, I loved the Power, I loved the Energy, Amazing!”
“Excuse me, kids,” added Judge, Carrie Ann Inaba, at the close of the Judges’ comments, “but that was bad-@$$!  … I totally disagree with Len!  … We have to keep the Show moving forward, [and so] we need innovative ways to do these [Latin and Ballroom] Dances!  … It was awesome!”

Paige & Mark
DWTS Season 22, Week 03


Well, while I certainly appreciate Carrie Ann’s enthusiasms for Mark’s Creative Genius, I must add that - and as much as this pains me to say - of all the Judges animated Thoughts and Comments, Len’s was the most accurate, given the fact that - aggravating or not at times - this IS a “Ballroom Competition”; and as such, certain Standards simply must be adhered to.  … otherwise, the entire premise of our beloved Show would come crashing down!

And so, bearing that thought in mind, I am certainly glad that there is someone like Len who can and will maintain that all-too-necessary, strict “Ballroom Line”.

… That said, speaking for a moment from a purely Fan’s Perspective, sometimes I think (as long as it is kept in check, and doesn’t occur too often) “Content” is made a fair trade when abandoned for exquisite “Creativity”; and such I found was the case with this uniquely brilliant Routine!

Paige & Mark
DWTS Season 22, Week 03


Still, I cannot deny that Paige & Mark’s overall scoring of 8,7,8, was - given the circumstances - about the best they could’ve hoped for; and when taking in account the Duo’s reactions upon receiving said Scores, I think that they thought so too!

So, great job, you guys, and keep it up!  ‘Cause when it came to landing this UFC-inspired Performance … <POW!> Right in the kisser!! 

Paige & Mark
DWTS Season 22, Week 03



See video (below) to watch Paige & Mark's Paso Doble on Week 03 of DWTS, Courtesy of Dancing With The Stars' great YouTube channel!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment